Monday, June 22, 2009

WoW: PvP in 3.2

The biggest changes in this patch relating to PvP are the new battleground and the XP changes. The new battleground, the Isle of Conquest, will have 40-man teams on each side, and will have vehicles and generals similar to those in Alterac Valley. I don't have much to say about that one, except that I'm sure I will eventually try it out. Hopefully, I'll get to it a little bit sooner than I did Strand of the Ancients.

The XP changes are a little more interesting to me. Players will now be able to gain XP from completing battleground objectives. To avoid the wrath of twinks, players can also now turn off XP gains altogether. Still, this change still affects twinks. From now on, players will be put in battlegrounds only with others with XP turned on or off, corresponding to the players' own status. Essentially, twinks will only be put in batttlegrounds with other twinks.

Now, I don't twink at all, but it seems that this leveling of the playing field pretty much takes all the fun out of twinking. After all, the best part about twinking is pounding little normally-geared low-levels into the dirt. If all you can do is attempt to pound other twinks into the dirt, it's not nearly as cool. All in all, it won't be seen if this is the so called "death of twinking" until the patch hits. Aside from that whole thing, it will be nice to have more of a reason to go into battlegrounds as a lower-level toon. I'm currently leveling a priest alt, and it'll be nice to have an incentive besides an awesome mount.

Other changes include a general shortening of battlegrounds. Battlegrounds that require victory points now require less points. Some other assorted buffs grant additional honor. Finally, Warsong Gulch has a 20 minute timer. Hallelujah! I've gone through way too many nightmarish WSG battles zerging and zerging the flag room, never getting anywhere. Never again, muahaha! This change is similar to the raiding changes in that players will be able to get better gear, faster. This is also exciting to me because I'm trying to get into PvP more, and this will help me get some more resilience pieces so I can be less of a squishy squishy mage.

Next, I'll finish up with the rest of the (more interesting than PvP) changes coming out in the patch.

No comments:

Post a Comment