Friday, June 26, 2009

A (not so) scary story

When summer comes around, I always get ants in my pants. One year, I chopped my hair off to chin length, and it looked awful. This year, I pierced my ears. This action in fact proves my insanity, because I've been deathly afraid of needles for my entire life.

I literally had to psych myself up for it. I had to set a solid date on which I WAS going to pierce my ears, and I had to tell all of my friends that I was doing it so I couldn't chicken out of it.

After we got out of school forever (the summer), we went looking for a piercing shop. The one we started going to wasn't open at the time, so we kept driving. And driving. Finally, we found one that was open. Since I'm not old enough to get a piercing all by my lonesome, we had to wait there for my mom to get there, and as we all know, waiting's the worst part. Finally, she got there and we went in.

Surprisingly, I was not the one most scared in that piercing shop. My mom essentially tried to talk me out of it. She kept asking, "You sure you want to do this?" and "Maybe you should wait until later." I, knowing full well I'd never do it if I waited 'til later, insisted. I was a little bit nervous because he insisted on using an actual needle instead of a needle gun, citing the fact the guns aren't as sanitary and they don't heal as well or something.

I am pleased to report that not one tear was shed. Everyone was surprised at this. -.- In fact, the most unpleasant part was not the piercing itself, but the bleeding afterwards. I got two in my left ear, and the second one would NOT stop bleeding. Also, I made the mistake of playing with it when we went to a movie afterwards. The scab opened up and it started bleeding again. Luckily not on my clothes, but it was still very irritating.

Things like this are all about getting past the mental part, I've found. Needles are now slightly less terrifying than they were previously, though I'm sure shots will still make me squeamish. In any case, I'm glad I tried out something new this summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment